Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Misfit

Misfit - Jon Skovron I didn’t quite know what to expect from this book when I first read the blurb. I thought, well, sounds like it could go either way. It has the basic stuff I’m interested in and after reading one or two positive reviews I decided to request it.I probably shouldn’t have.I regret to say that Misfit and I just weren’t meant to work out. I only got about 40 pages in so I’m basing this review off those 40 pages.The first warning sign was when I saw that it was written in the present tense style. I’m not a fan of that style unless it really makes sense for the novel. The only time I didn’t mind it was in The Hunger Games series because it made sense why Collins chose that style to write in. Here, it just made things awkward. In second person present tense it’s too easy to fall into the trap of describing every single thing the character does, be it from making cereal and eating it to simply dressing. The other problem is that it’s easy to start telling and not showing. This book had an abundance of both problems which kept me from really being able to get into it or connect to any of the characters. I was being told how they were feeling without being shown, which kept me from really getting into their perspective. The dialogue sounded forced and too much like a guy trying to write what he thought a modern teenage girl sounded like, and failing, and you’ve got quite a bit of fail worthy writing.There were overly dramatic moments, like when Jael’s father gives her a birthday present that was a necklace her mother owned. Instead of telling her right off the bat, “Hey, don’t put it on because it’s dangerous, like really dangerous,” he sits there and watches her take the gift, then move to put it on, then grabs her wrists and THEN tells her not to put it on. It just seemed like a really clumsy way of making the scene more dramatic and interesting. All it got from me was a roll of my eyes. There was also a throwaway remark about “demons not liking pizza” that was so bizarre I actually stared at it for a second, uncomprehending. Why the hell would demons not like pizza? The way it’s written makes it sound like a universal thing, too, that all demons everywhere of every kind hate pizza. I know it’s a small thing to get irritated over but sheesh, if you’re going to attempt a joke at least make sure it makes sense. That just failed as a joke, if it was even meant to be one.The only time I was ever slightly interested in the book was when the tense switched to past for a flashback. The writing got marginally better and easier to get into, but that was the only time I had my interest piqued. Other than that I just couldn’t bring myself to care about any of it--the characters, the slight semblance of a plot there may have been, anything.Speaking of the characters, I really did not like Jael. She was unsympathetic and cruel to people who didn’t deserve it. I just couldn’t bring myself to care about her or her plight--which, considering she’s a half demon girl with a dead mother and a neglectful, almost abusive father, is not a good thing to say. I could guess where Britt’s storyline was going to go and how her character was going to be dealt with, so I wasn’t interested in reading about anything there.I wish I could have liked Misfit, but it simply wasn’t meant to be. I’m sure other readers who don’t mind the present tense will find it easier to get into than I did.

A Feast for Crows