Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Anatomy of a Single Girl

Anatomy of a Single Girl - Daria Snadowsky While Anatomy of a Boyfriend explored the situation of having your first love, first boyfriend and first sexual experiences, Anatomy of a Single Girl focuses on what happens after you break up with that first love and start to discover other sexual partners. What a refreshing read it was, too. There’s a trend in YA to act like the first love will always be your one and only, and while it’s easy to believe that when you’re in the midst of said relationship, the reality is far different. The person you love as a teenager may not always be the person you’ll love as an adult, and that’s okay. The emotions Dom goes through months after ending her relationship with Wes were a great exploration of how it was possible to end things with your first love but still feel strongly about them, even if you realize you’re not really right for each other. Then there’s the new storyline of this book, which is that Dom meets another guy she’s attracted to and he’s attracted to her as well. Unfortunately, they don’t see eye to eye on some pretty major things--such as marriage and having kids--which forces Dom to acknowledge that their relationship won’t last past the summer. This throws her for a loop momentarily, until she realizes... well, what’s the big deal about that? She decides to go for it and enjoy herself while it lasts. It was a breath of fresh air to see a relationship in a YA novel that had a time limit and both parties were okay with that. It was good to see Dom finally grow up a little during the course of this relationship. It was doubly nice to see her learn that sex doesn’t just have to be missionary style in the dark every time. Amy also got some much needed depth in this book, and Dom’s sex buddy Guy was a good, well defined character. It was a step up from the secondary characterizations in the first book. The message of safe sex and even the casual reference to abortion being a viable option in the case of an unwanted pregnancy were the big stand outs in the novel, although admittedly at times it did veer close to reading more like a brochure on STDs and what to do to prevent them than it did natural flowing dialogue between two characters. Still, the message is important enough that I was willing to overlook that. Sadly my two main issues from the first book carried over into this one: The fatshaming and slutshaming. Dom occasionally worries over her weight and how she gained the Freshman Fifteen during her first year at college, and how she lost all of that to become fit again. There were also more instances of her judging other women to be “hos”. These added literally nothing to the story, not even authenticity to the teenage voice, so I would have just as soon they had not been included at all. Still, I’m very glad I read both of these books, and I’ll be interested in seeing what else Snadowsky has to offer in the future.See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand. Copies of this book and the first book in the series were provided by the author for an honest review.

A Feast for Crows