Miranda @ Bibliodaze

The Brides of Rollrock Island

The Brides of Rollrock Island - Margo Lanagan This book is not going to be for everyone. If you like books that are slower, character driven, throw you into the world with very little or no explanation as to how it all works, then The Brides of Rollrock Island will be for you. It’s mainly a study in how a witch changes everything about the island she lives in as revenge on those who have wronged her. We see how the people living there change in just a few short generations, and the people who live there. Honestly, I could have spent the entire book with Misskaella, the witch, as the main narrator. Her section of the book is by far the strongest. The other POVs were nice as well, but Misskaella grabbed me and never let go, and she was an entirely sympathetic character even though she eventually resorted to revenge. She still remains my favourite character out of the book, and one I wish we had seen a little more of. The rest of the cast is good enough, but they’re all human, for better or worse. They all do things that make them hard to like, which is going to be hard for some readers to take. I did find it a little hard to swallow that every man on the island took a seal woman as a wife, but I suppose you could read one part as saying Misskaella kind of enchants them into it. Lanagan’s writing is beautiful and lush, and while sometimes it was a little hard to know what was going on, her style was easy to read and effortless. I ended up marking several passages in my book with post-it notes, just so I could come back and read them and savor them all over again. Her writing fit the tone of the book wonderfully; a melancholic, haunting, creepy dark fairytale with great atmosphere. If there was one little complaint I had, it would be that I would have really liked a chapter from either one of the wive’s point of views or one of the seal woman’s. All the chapters are narrated either by children or the men, and while I didn’t mind it so much, I would have really liked to see a full chapter from one of the women. All in all I really loved The Brides of Rollrock Island, and I can’t wait to get my hands on more of Lanagan’s works.

A Feast for Crows