Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Conjured

Conjured - Sarah Beth Durst A book that relies on a mystery propelling the plot forward runs the risk of no longer being interesting once the reader has found out that mystery. There are several main mysteries in Conjured; who is Eve, where did she come from, why can she not remember anything, why can she do brief bursts of great magic that makes her black out, and who’s hunting her? Thankfully, even when we finally find all of this out, Conjured is still a great story. Durst masterfully weaves the mystery and a few hints and clues into the story, teasing the reader with just enough details to keep the suspense up, but not enough to give away the whole thing before it was ready to be revealed. Although one small aspect was a little easy to guess from the start, the rest was not, and that made it much more rewarding when the answers were finally given. The world-building, likewise, was very deftly done. Durst clearly let her imagination run wild with this, and it shows. I’d love a sequel spent exploring this world-building a little more intimately, although the bits we do get feel real and tangible already. There’s an interesting set up here that’s just begging to be looked at more, but I’m satisfied with what we have here. But by far the best aspects of Conjured are its characters, especially Eve. Seeing her grow from someone stumbling around without much of a clue as to what’s going on to what she eventually ends up as is greatly rewarding. She’ll likely go as one of my favorite heroines in YA. Zach is likewise a very good character, and I actually really adored his relationship with Eve. Other notables were Malcolm and Nikki, the agents watching over Eve. Even the smallest of side characters got their moment to shine. The questions asked during Conjured--do the ends justify the means, do you deserve a second chance in life--added a lot of good depth to the mystery and the story. There were a lot of surprising shades of grey here, something you don’t often see in the black and white mentality of YA. Even after finishing this book, I’m still thinking of how well it handled these issues and how Durst showed how it affects the people involved in it. I think that’s a good way to describe Conjured in general, actually: As a novel I’m going to keep thinking about again and again. And I’m definitely buying a finished copy when it releases.See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand. I obtained a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley.

A Feast for Crows