Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Ignite

Ignite - Erica Crouch Details can make or break a book. Depending on the reader, some details will work and some won’t. Unfortunately for me, Ignite was full of details that just didn’t click together. The entire premise is based around a looming war between Heaven and Hell, angels and demons. Our main character is one such demon, formerly an angel before she fell, named Penemuel. Pen is now set with the task of killing and collecting souls for Hell for the upcoming battles with her twin brother Azael. However, from the beginning we can see that Pen isn’t really feeling the whole “soul reaping demon” thing anymore, at least not as much as she thinks she should be, so clearly during the course of the novel she’s going to face hard decisions about who she wants to be. I can understand that, as it is a young adult book, it needs to be easily marketable to young adults and therefore the characters need to be appealing to teens. But it’s severely distracting when a millenia old demon not only appears to be just sixteen physically, but also acts like a sixteen year old girl. There’s a scene with a lake and her intended love interest and all the awkwardness and “tee hee oh goodness he’s shirtless!” of taking your clothes off in front of someone of the opposite sex that felt like it would have fit in better in a contemporary novel than it did this. These are really old characters, and inhuman characters at that. Why would they care about getting down to their knickers in front of each other? On top of that, why would the demons or angels have a concept of age like the humans do? They live for so long, why would they care about keeping track of how old they look, enough to put it into concepts and words like “sixteen”? Teens are better readers than some give them credit for. They aren’t going to be disinterested in a story just because the main characters are inhuman and act like it; a lot of them are probably going to be very fascinated by an inhuman main character who acts like an actual otherworldy being. I know I would have been at sixteen, and I still am at twenty one. There’s also another scene where Pen has to perform CPR on someone. This scene was so jarring it took me right out of the novel, because why would a demon know CPR? They don’t need to breathe and they have no working hearts. Where would she have learned it from? Why would she have thought it important enough to consider it not only useful, but necessary to learn in case she might need it some day? She hangs out with other demons and not humans, unless she’s planning on killing them, in which case the CPR really isn’t going to be of use in that situation. It was just beyond ridiculous. Added to that, Pen and Azael are two of the snarkiest characters I’ve read about, and that is not a compliment. While we do get a break from the snark occasionally, it’s just so overused and poured on that I got tired of it really quick. Snark is only effective and funny if it’s used sparingly. Eventually, while I did try to keep with the novel if, I decided I just didn’t care enough to continue. I will say that the technical writing it self, at least, wasn’t awful. It wasn’t anything stunning, but there were occasional moments of nice description and it was easy to read. But honestly, the CPR thing killed it for me. As I said, small details can make or break a novel, and that one broke Ignite for me.See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand! A copy of this novel was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

A Feast for Crows