Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Ten Tiny Breaths

Ten Tiny Breaths  - K.A. Tucker Let’s start with the good things about Ten Tiny Breaths first. Kacey is a pretty awesome main character; obviously damaged with a lot of issues, but a lot of attitude to back it up. It’s nice to read a main leading woman character with a backbone. Her character growth was believable and her relationship with her sister was nice, even if that relationship and character got shoved off to the side after a certain point. Her friendship with Storm, an acrobatic stripper, was nice too. There were some legitimately nice surprises as far as the plot went. I honestly didn’t see a twist with a character coming, though in hindsight I maybe should have. It didn’t go the predictable route with Kacey and Livie’s aunt coming to cause problems for them either, which was a nice touch. If only the rest of the novel had been as good as these individual things, this review would go very differently. Unfortunately a big failing of the novel for me was Kacey and Trent’s relationship. That aforementioned backbone of Kacey’s? Yeah, it vanishes pretty much whenever Trent levels his puppy dog eyes at her. This leads to him getting away with things he absolutely shouldn’t, such as sexually blackmailing her. Kacey calls it what it is, and she does get angry about it, but other than that? He faces no repercussions. I had a hard time rooting for them to get together and stay together because of this and a few other reasons I can’t mention because of spoilers. If I can’t root for the main couple of your romance novel to get together, then your novel is pretty much sunk. More than anything I really wanted Kacey to give Trent a nice punch in the gut because of how he was acting, especially when he kept trying to force her to go into therapy for her PTSD. Granted, Trent does acknowledge afterwards that it wasn’t a good idea, but that coupled with everything else he’d done made his apology pretty much useless to me. There’s also a huge issue of some pretty constant slut shaming throughout the novel. Kacey immediately judges Storm the first time they meet because she has large, obviously fake breasts. Of course Kacey soon learns that there’s an actual person with a personality and a mind of her own attached to those breasts and readjusts her opinion a little. She still makes some scattered comments about Storm’s breasts even after they become friends though, which rubbed me the wrong way. Then Storm helps Kacey get a job as a bartender at a stripper club, and Kacey’s wholly unpleasant judgment comes out in full swing. Especially when one of the strippers happens to do her job and try to get Trent’s attention, Kacey is merciless. Unfortunately, the writing of the novel backs this up: All the strippers (except for the One Special Woman, Storm) are portrayed as airheads and just not as awesome as Kacey because they happen to take their clothes off for some good money every night. The slut shaming really did ruin a lot of the novel for me and lost me a lot of sympathy I originally had for Kacey. I still liked her overall personality, but if they could have taken out the horrific treatment of the strippers I would have been a much happier reader. So needless to say, I don’t think I’ll be checking out the rest of this series, given what I saw here. There were some aspects here that I enjoyed seeing in a New Adult title, but the unhealthy romance and poor treatment of other characters has not enticed me to read the other two novels.See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand. I received a review copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

A Feast for Crows