Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Loki's Wolves

Loki’s Wolves - Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr Unlike some other Norse myth books I’ve read, I actually did enjoy the exploration of the myths and the expansion of them in this book. Some things could have been better--saying that Loki and Thor weren’t friends in the myths when, actually, a large part of the time they were--but overall it fared better than some other books I’ve read in the past. Unfortunately, there was a lot here that was bad otherwise. The biggest complaint I have is that the writing just got downright stupid at times. There’s a part in the beginning of the book where the three main characters all fight a pack of wolves, and then a tornado touches down and comes right for them, and yet they keep fighting each other. Outside. In the open, on a piece of flat land. I honestly do not understand the point of this scene at all. It was already tense because the characters weren’t quite so evenly matched in terms of strength or numbers with the wolves; why add in a tornado? It just made everyone seem incredibly stupid, and I had to put the book down for a second to go, “Wow, really?” There’s also the fact that, at times, everything seemed just a little too easy for the kids, especially when it came to avoiding law enforcement. I also had a hard time reading the main characters as thirteen year olds. A lot of the time they spoke, thought and acted like they were much older; I kept thinking they were sixteen, not thirteen. Other than that, the characters were the main reason I kept reading. They were actually likable, and I rooted for them even when the plotline got silly. The writing was more or less easy to read, but at times it bludgeoned me with how the characters were feeling. They stated it outright in their narration, and it felt a lot like it was telling me instead of showing me how they felt. I don’t need to be told that two characters are sort of friends now after traveling for a bit, I could tell on my own by how they spoke to each other with more respect than they initially did. Honestly, the writing felt dumbed down at times, and I hate to think it’s because the book is written for a younger audience. I wish I could have liked Loki’s Wolves more than I did, but honestly, I’ll still probably read the sequel just to see where it goes. I did appreciate the treatment of the myths and the world building, and the characters, so I may overlook the occasional eyeroll worthy moment for the next few books.See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand!

A Feast for Crows