Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Where the Stars Still Shine

Where the Stars Still Shine - Trish Doller See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand! I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.Well, this wasn't quite the book I was expecting it to be based off the summary. I was thinking it'd be focused more on her family instead of her hooking up with some guy, but alas, the latter turned out to be more prevalent in Where the Stars Still Shine. Which I'd be fine with, except that I never really got the impression that Callie and Alex were in love with each other so much as they were in lust with each other. While I'm happy to see sex (and oral sex!) presented in a healthy way in this novel, at times it felt like that was all there was to their relationship. And then at the end, when Alex basically proves that he's not really that great a boyfriend? Yeah, I wasn't feeling the romance aspect so much. Unfortunately it took up a large, large part of this novel, to the point where I felt like I still really didn't know her family even after she'd lived with them for at least two months. They felt flat to me, and the few scenes they had to wrap up any development or plot they had with Callie felt kind of like they were tacked on because they were necessary. I don't expect Callie to immediately gel with them, but I also felt that she never really tries to integrate herself with them, either. She always sneaks out, wanders around when she feels like it, and then goes to have sex with Alex. She makes some half hearted efforts, but it never really sticks, and honestly that was a big failing with her character. By the end of the novel, I don't feel like she grew or changed. She just reacted to her life as it happened to her and only put roots down in some places because she didn't really have any other option. When she makes her final decision near the end of the novel, it didn't feel organic because yet again, her hand was forced. She didn't come to that point by herself, through growing and maturing her feelings.There's also the fact that her past includes a plot point that just feels... unnecessary. One of her Mom's boyfriends sexually assaulted her, and while the repercussions of it are shown and kinda sorta dealt with, I wondered if it was honestly necessary to have it included at all. I don't know that it added anything to Callie's character or the story at large, and it reminded me of When You Find Me. Do all stories about kidnapped children need to have their main characters get raped or molested as children for some reason?For the things I did like, I enjoyed the Greek culture aspect of the novel and how it played into Callie's relationships and surroundings. It's not really one I haven't seen yet in a YA book. I also liked how Callie eventually didn't go to school; while I felt her ease at the GED studying was a bit unrealistic, it would have been even more unrealistic to have her be knowledgeable enough to go to high school without an issue. The writing was nice at times, though mostly serviceable. I didn't actively hate reading it, but I wasn't really won over in the end either, and I wish I had been.

A Feast for Crows