Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Tris and Izzie

Tris & Izzie - Mette Ivie Harrison I read and enjoyed Harrison’s Princess series, which had beautiful writing and good, strong women characters. When I heard she was writing a retelling of the Tristan and Isolde myth, I was excited. I had high expectations and when I saw that it was up on NetGalley, you better believe I snatched it up. Oh, I wish I had enjoyed it more. I’ll be frank, this book is bad. Really bad. So bad in fact that I was not able to get more than 80 pages into it, so my review will be based on the little I did read. I simply had no desire to finish it whatsoever, so I decided not to force myself.I have no idea how Harrison managed to drop the ball on this one, but man, she dropped it hard. I think the biggest problem is that her writing is honestly not suited for a modern girl’s voice. The entire time Izzie’s voice sounded forced, like Harrison was trying too hard to sound modern instead of a girl in another time. The narration was childish and repetitive, and I had to reread several paragraphs simply because the writing was so confusing I had no idea what was trying to be said. Add to that that there was a whole lot of telling and not showing and this just turned out to be a really badly written book. It honestly read like a really rough first draft of a novel instead of one that has gone through some editing. I couldn’t bring myself to care about any of the characters. In fact I kept wishing the Earth would open up to swallow Izzie whole. She was bratty, mean, controlling, vindictive, and just overall unpleasant to read about. I don’t mind unsympathetic or mean narrators, but Izzie was not a good unsympathetic character. I just wanted her to go away. Once someone starts planning to sneak a love potion to her best friend to get her to fall in love, against her express wishes, that character loses any sympathy and liking from me. That’s just wrong.I had to give up on page 82, after trying to pick it back up and putting it back down again and again. I just could not get into it, and when I thought about reading more, I simply couldn’t bring myself to do it. A did not finish for me, and it hurts to say that. Huge disappointment.A copy of this book was generously provided by NetGalley and the publisher for review.

A Feast for Crows