Miranda @ Bibliodaze

A Wish After Midnight

A Wish After Midnight - Zetta Elliott This is a hard book to read. It deals very intimately with racism and the different forms it takes, small and big, both in the present day and in 1863. The contrast between the two times was well done, showing how much things had changed or not changed, in some cases. The first 80 or so pages are very introspective, like Genna is basically writing whatever comes to mind first. It is a little slow paced, but I enjoyed reading about her thoughts, and it provided a good contrast for later when she’s in 1863. I loved Genna as a protagonist. She was intelligent and strong willed, unwilling to take anyone’s bad behaviour, although I will say it was a little hard to believe that she was able to get away with it as much as she did in 1863. She does compromise her personality and straight forwardness in some cases, but some things she got away with I wasn’t entirely sure she’d actually be able to get away with them given the circumstances. I also wish I could have liked her relationship with Judah better than I had. Every time they were together I kept wondering why, exactly, she was in love with him. They didn’t seem to have much in common, and while I understand Genna was in love with him because he noticed her and saw her differently than everyone else, the way he pushed at her and didn’t seem to have much respect in her opinions really bothered me. I liked her story much more when Judah wasn’t around, although his story did become interesting later on. There were some small issues with uneven pacing at times. As I said before, the beginning was slow though I do recognize there was a need for build up, and sometimes the chapters were a little short, making them choppy in places. But I really did enjoy A Wish After Midnight and if there’s ever a sequel, I will definitely be reading it, though I did love the ending on its own.See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand.

A Feast for Crows