Miranda @ Bibliodaze

If You Find Me

If You Find Me - Emily Murdoch Despite a solid, clear and distinctive voice and an unflinching way of tackling tough subjects, If You Find Me had some other issues that kept it from being a great read. This is likely down to personal taste again: If you’re going to present me with these characters and their situation and make a whole story about it, I want to delve deep into those issues and really feel who these characters are. Due to the short length, however, while I did grow to care about Carey and Nessa, I never really felt like we delved into them all the way. What we have is great. Carey is the most fleshed out of all the characters, since she’s the narrator, and Nessa comes close to being as well put together as her sister. It’s the side characters that the novel falls flat on; Delaney, Carey’s new stepsister, is awful. While it’s understandable how hard a thing this must be on her, the things she does to Carey and what she threatens her with are unforgivable. When the two eventually come to some sort of understanding, it doesn’t feel natural or developed. They dislike each other, and then everything’s okay. I wanted to see more of them interacting so it felt believable. Likewise, the romantic interest, while a cute character, fell flat too. Carey barely talks to him before deciding she loves him, and while I can sort of see the basis for a good romance there, it needed to be further developed so I could actually root for them. I also wish Carey had developed some sort of relationship with her dad, more than what we got. There was a good set up, with her believing that he abused her and her mother when she was a child, but the novel didn’t deliver on that set up until the very end. He more or less dropped off the map until that point. When the novel does things right, though, it does them well. Carey’s voice is distinct and perfect for how she grew up. I did sometimes wonder at certain word choices that seemed a little off, and the fact that she and Nessa are so smart they can be put into two whole grades above their actual age grade in school veered perilously close to being too convenient. But when the book wanted to tackle tough subjects, it did it without blinking. I do question the choice of putting in the traumatic flashback scene near the end of the book, especially when Carey tells her dad (and by extension, the reader) what happened a page later. It felt redundant and, frankly, unnecessary. It would have been horrifying enough hearing a fourteen year old girl telling us the story; did we really need to read about it first hand as well? In all, I think there’s some great stuff here. But I think the short length of the novel keeps it from really delivering on everything it needed to deliver on: The relationship between Carey and her new parents, her stepsister, her love interest, and her new life in general. I’m interested in reading more of the author’s work, but hopefully her next effort is better put together than her first.(I won my copy in a First Reads giveaway. See more of my reviews at On The Nightstand!.)

A Feast for Crows