Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Before I Fall

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver This had been sitting on my shelf for a long time, and after finishing Eleanor & Park I was in the mood for a more serious contemporary, so I pulled this one out. I don’t regret reading it, but unfortunately it didn’t blow me away like it had so many other readers.That’s not to say I didn’t like it because I did. Oliver has very smooth, readable prose that knows when to be just descriptive enough to ram home a mental image or emotion. She was also good at creating characters that were multi-dimensional, likeable and unlikeable, and I really appreciated the friendship between the four girls even if sometimes I didn’t understand quite why any of them put up with Lindsay.Sam’s growth was believable and felt genuine, and the ending made sense, although I did wonder how giving someone survivor’s guilt was supposed to save them. Sam’s action was well intentioned and I more or less knew it was coming, but still, it didn’t quite sit right with me that that was the book’s solution to another character’s problem.In the end, though, something kept me from just full out loving Before I Fall. Sometimes a reader has no chemistry with a book, even if they can see what makes it technically great. It’s not a bad thing, and in this case that was me and this book; we had some chemistry together, but not enough.

A Feast for Crows