Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas

Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

Oh, book. I wished I had liked you.

I initially really enjoyed Throne of Glass. It was easy enough to read, and at the time I liked it a lot... but then once I read other reviews, I ended up downgrading my initial rating from four stars to three. There were a lot of things I overlooked in favor of wanting to find the amazing story so many people told me it was; the juvenile writing and emotions behind the story, the fact that it still felt very much like it’d been published online, and the internal logic of the characters that never really matched up with their situations, histories or established personalities.

Still, I was looking forward to reading Crown of Midnight, especially after a lot of early reviews came out and said it improved on the first book and that even people who liked the first well enough but didn’t love it turned into fans by the end of this one.

Well. I’m sadly not one of those people.

I had a lot of trouble getting into this book from the start. The writing was still rather juvenile, and the pacing for the first 200 pages honestly dragged. It wouldn’t have been so bad if the intrigue that Maas was attempting to do was actually well written. Instead, it just came across as a mess. There was very little intriguing about it, and it made the pacing slow down to a near halt.

The plot itself also felt a little... under planned. There were things that Celaena should not have fallen for that she did, which made no logical sense if she’d just stopped to think about it. I was also highly uncomfortable with the event that takes place halfway through the novel and the implications it held, but unfortunately I can’t get into that without spoiling a lot of the novel.

Celaena hasn’t improved much from the first novel, where she ignored clues that were right in front of her face in favor of keeping the mystery and plot going. She does the same here, although granted the mystery is slightly better written than it was in Throne of Glass. Still, it made it hard to root for her when I was sighing and going, “It’s right there, you’re not connecting the dots because the plot doesn’t want you to yet.”

On the plus side, a pretty obvious plot twist was finally revealed in this book. If it had been dragged out to the third book, I would have definitely given this a lower rating, and likely also ripped my hair out in frustration.

Overall, I don’t know that I’ll be around for the third book in the series. However, I am interested in seeing how the author’s other works fare. I don’t know if the juvenile writing would be an issue in other works that were started later than this series. Hopefully I’ll get to find out.

A Feast for Crows