Miranda @ Bibliodaze

Review: Sorrow's Knot by Erin Bow

Sorrow's Knot - Erin Bow

After enjoying Plain Kate by Erin Bow, I was looking forward to Sorrow's Knot. I'm so happy to say that I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did her first novel, if not a bit more!

Usually when I read novels I end up guessing how the story will go after a certain point, but in this one, the story kept surprising me with all the twists and turns it took. I legitimately gave up guessing after a while because I just did not know where the story would take me. It is a well crafted plotline that never goes where one might expect it to, and for that it was a serious joy to read. Even when it got creepy.

And wow, did it ever get creepy. I didn't expect this to be an appropriate Halloween read when I started, but it was! There were some scenes that had me huddled under my blanket and wishing I slept with a nightlight. There's no gore, but it's like a very suspenseful ghost movie, where shadows shift in a fuzzy frame and you're sitting there, waiting for something to happen, the chills going up your spine. It's a very effective, chilling read at times, but it never gets too grimdark or too overwrought. There are plenty of lighthearted moments to even it up.

As for the cast, I think Otter's one of my new favorite lady leads in a book. She's just fantastic. A lot of things happen to her, but she tries her best to move on and grow. Kestrel, one of her best friends, was also a lovely character and I loved the role she played in the book.

The world building was also very nicely done. There was obviously a lot of research done on Native Americans and the different tribes that exist in order to make Otter's world well rounded and believable. A certain other book I recently finished could have taken a few lessons. (That's the only comparison I'll make, I swear.)

If there were any downsides to it, I'd say at times the already slowish pace did drag a little. It's not an action packed story; it's one that's slowly unraveled like a piece of yarn. But it's definitely worth it to see how the whole thing untangles and then comes back together.

I loved Sorrow's Knot, and I heavily encourage anyone who loves fantasy to give it a good look.

A Feast for Crows